"Our sense of wonder grows exponentially; the greater the knowledge, the deeper the mystery."


-- E.O. Wilson

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web scienceontap.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, March 16, 2009

Music and Language


I usually focus here on "popular" science writing, but today I'll link to a more academic blog post.
In college (back around Civil War times, as it seems to me), psycholinguistics was one of my major interests, and I always believed the intertwining of language, music, and mathematics was a largely untapped (and complex) area of study. 40 years later it remains unchartered ground in many ways, but this study finds certain synchronicities or connections between the patterns of musical notes and the vowels in language. The reading is somewhat technical, and the study somewhat preliminary, but strikes me as an interesting and possibly fruitful approach.

No comments: